2.26.2012

First Date Advice


How many of us have been on a first date, be it through online dating sites or the old fashion way? *raises hand* Yea, just what I thought.... every last one of us. When it comes to first dates, there proper ways of divulging information, but better yet, is it necessary to even go there?


I find it difficult to predict the tone of a first date. Some first dates leave you feeling confused, others will have your head in the clouds... and some, well... they just suck ass. For those of us who have had a sucky first date, you can probably agree with me of some of the first date no-no's:

  1. Don't take yourself too serious. Come on, get over yourself. No one goes on a date to be interviewed or judged. Just laugh, talk, and have a good time.
  2. Don't talk about children, your children. Now don't go yelling at the computer screen, I am not saying that you cannot mention your children, in fact, I definitely receommend you tell your date that you have kids. But what I am saying is that you do not need to go into details. I am sorry, but people do not want to hear about your daycare bills and baby mama drama on the first date.
  3. Don't talk excessively. I must admit, I am kind of guilty of this. Once you get me going, I can take a conversation and run with it, but it is a terrible idea to talk excessively on the first date. You should be getting to know one another. If one person dominates, the other person will get bored or feel like you're self-absorbed.
  4. Don't be on your cell phone too much. "Hello jerkoff, I am sitting here waiting to talk to you!" Please don't take too much time looking at Instagram or updating your Facebook status... the date is about 2 people, not your whole social network. Who cares what your friends are doing, you have "opportunities" sitting in front of you.
  5. Don't talk about your Ex. Your ex is your ex for a reason so do NOT talk about your ex on a first date, or period unless asked. That's total bull that you would think it is alright to carry on a conversation about how good or bad he/she was. "I don't care and I was hoping you didn't either." Do this and you are probably almost certainly not going to get a second date.
Read these steps thoroughly and I am sure your first date will go just fine, in fact, you may even get that kiss you want!

1 reactions:

Unknown said...

Hello HeatherG,

I agree with you on all of your no-no's, but in your opinion what would you consider to be a great first date? I ask this because as a guy that has a spontaneous side, the typical movie and dinner gets too old and is just too regular if you know what I mean. So me specifically, I love doing/trying new things. So would you consider taking a female to places like a golf range, Dave and Busters, or the bowling alley with great conversation would be good enough to show her a second date is worth it?

Thanks

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes