2.06.2016

How I Travel:: You Can Afford to Do the Same


I was reading a post on a fellow bloggers' site when I realized, "hey, that's my lifestyle," meaning, I live a somewhat unpredictable existence.  I say "somewhat" because I intentionally designed my life to look this way.  I have absolutely nothing against anyone who enjoys working a 9 to 5, but saving for 12 months to take a week's vacation is not my idea of living.   Take someone who wants to spend their entire check to pay for the latest hot rod, is that really necessary?  Don't get me wrong, I want to get the latest hot car myself (so tempting), however, I don't choose that lifestyle currently because I feel that living life is much more than the things we acquire.  Buying stuff doesn't equal happiness; maybe in that moment, yes; but how many time have you bought something, let's say a car, and months after you have it, the exhilaration you felt in the beginning turns to anxiety when you realize you have to work overtime to pay for it? Cut down on the things that do not matter so you can spend on the things that you love the most. Sometimes, the things we acquire are actually a deterrent from us living the life we want, but they appeal to you because in some twisted way they make you feel validated.  

So again, not to bash anyone's traditional work life, but to those whom are curious as to how I move and travel as much as I do, or to those who are trying to figure out a way to do the same, here's what I'd suggest (in no particular order).

First of all, downsize.  Letting go of excess possessions doesn't mean you cannot have nice things, it simply means you own "quality over quantity."  This makes it easy to move about.  It means less you have to care for and it keeps things minimal.

Secondly, figure out a way to make an income without having to report to a physical location.  So for me, I blog and constantly work on my YouTube channel, both of which produces income for me.  In addition, I get endorsements from my social media platforms, check me out (http://instagram.com.Askheatherg).  When I want, I will sometimes take a job and use that income to add to my "investments" (even my investments are nontraditional). I know this entire concept may sound daunting, but if you really want to live a life that affords you more opportunities to travel or save, you will figure this one out. Start with googling "alternative ways to make money."

Lastly, change your mindset.  Understand that this is possible for anyone to design the life they want.  Living a life of abundance is about doing what you want, when you want. 

2 reactions:

brettmedia said...

Thank you for this post. I was sharing a variation of these concepts with my students today. I'll show them your post, as they will believe you.
Continued success, and growth.

AskHeatherG said...

That's incredible! Thank you so much ��

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes