2.26.2014

Dry Skin Be Gone: How to Hydrate Your Skin & Scalp

I never thought I'd have to find remedies for dry skin, but here I am.  I am from Virginia and rarely experienced dry skin,  I suppose it maybe due to the humidity on the East Coast.   Yet, since moving to Los Angeles about 5 months ago I noticed the texture of my skin begin to change.  The climate, constant sun exposure and California's terrible tap water took a fast toll on my skin.  I used to get so many compliments on how soft and satiny my skin felt, especially after applying coconut oil, but my old regimen was no longer cutting it.  My skin went from supple and smooth to dry and slightly scaly.  Even my scalp had begun to suffer.  So naturally I took to the internet to research some remedies.  I prefer natural fixes over prepackaged store bought ones, but at this point I was willing to try most anything.

Over the course of 5 months, I finally figured it out.  Here's what I did:

For my skin:  I still use my faithful coconut oil and occasionally I mix it with equal parts lotion if I want the oil to absorb completely grease free, but now I have added lavender oil to my jar of coconut oil.  Lavender oil can help to stimulate the production of sebum, and also balance secretions within the skin.  This oil has so many wonderful benefits, especially on a dry skin, encouraging the removal of dead skin cells, repairing and healing dull, flaky patches.  Needless to say, not only did I slather my body with this, I begin using this on my scalp as well.  In addition to adding the oil, I bought the Sprite Filtration System for my shower head, which only cost me $19 at Lowe's and I invested in a personal humidifier for my bedroom, which I got from CVS for only $29.99. The water filter helps remove metals and chlorine from tap water and the humidifier replenishes the moisture in the air, hence keeping my environment with some level of water vapors which is good for your skin, hair and sinuses.

For my hair and scalp:  I wash my hair with only Apple Cider Vinegar and water; ACV rinse. To do this, use Bragg's brand ACV (just trust me, it is the best), mix 1 part vinegar and 3 parts filtered water.  I put this mixture in a spray bottle and saturate my hair, concentrating on the scalp.  Obviously there is no lather, but the non use of all the chemicals found in over the counter shampoos have proved my new formula works. Simply take your finger tips and gently scratch and massage your head. This will stimulate hair growth as well as lift dead skin cell, dirt and dandruff.  Some may wonder if my hair smells of vinegar; the answer is no.  Once you apply this concoction, let it sit for at least 10 minutes (longer if you can, I go up to an hour sometimes), then follow with several thorough rinses of plain H2O.  Your hair will have a squeaky type feel afterwards, but trust me it will be the softest you have ever felt once it dries.  As I mentioned above, I use the oil combination to apply to my scalp once the washing process is done.  By doing this, I am restoring some of the natural oils that I lose in the wash and also sweetening my locks with the smell of soothing lavender.  

That's it!  It was just that simple.  Oh, and of course, drink plenty of water.  Good water (meaning alkaline water is best), but however you can get it, drink it.  Hope this helps!



0 reactions:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes